Ackee & Saltfish
Ackee, Jamaica's national fruit, has a delicate flavor and a look similar to scrambled eggs. Ackee and salted fish (bacalao) makes the perfect breakfast meal. Serve with roasted breadfruit or dumplings.
- 3 lbs Boneless Saltfish (bacalao): Soaked overnight and flaked
- 1 large Onion: chopped
- 1 stalk Escallion (green onion): chopped
- 2 plum Tomatoes: chopped
- 1/2 Scotch Bonner Pepper optional
- 1 can Carib Ackee: drained
- 3 tbsp Ground Thyme
- 3 strips Bacon: fried crispy optional
- 2 springs Thyme
- 3 tbsp Cooking Oil
- 1 tbsp Carib Ground Black Pepper
Saute vegetables in oil.
Add flaked saltfish and cook for 2 minutes.
Add rinsed Carib Ackee.
Add black pepper and thyme.
Simmer for 10 minutes.
Garnish with crisp bacon and fresh tomatoes.